Wednesday 20 April 2022

28mm Stone Walls - a practice run

Good Morning All

Just a brief post today on a small project I undertook over the Easter weekend. For some time now I have been wanting to add to my stonewalls terrain collection so with a few hours spread over the weekend to spare I decided to conduct a trial of building 28mm stone walls with cat litter. This was very much an experiment but I think the results are quite promising.

Where to start...

Well the walls need to be based on something so rather than cut out a load of hardboard strips or cut out some vinyl floor tiles (my usual terrain basing materials) I elected to use some giant lollipop sticks I bought on ebay.


As can be seen in the picture above these are 20cm long and 2.5cm wide. Each pack costs around six quid and you get 60 in a pack.

Next step was to prepare the basing material. Using an old ice cream tub I filled it up about half way with cat litter (the white clumping version) and some coarse sand. To this I added about a cup full of powder filler, a cup of pva glue and half a cup of brown emulsion paint. The paint ensures that all those nooks and crannies are going get at least some paint and the white mix will disappear.

The mixture needs to be semi dry -


At this point spread out the lolly sticks and then taking the mixture roll it into sausage shapes and push onto the bases. Using two sticks I then compressed the sausages into more flattened shapres on the side. This pushes the mixture up into a rough wallshape. These were then left to dry in the sun.



 

My new walls had a bit of a tumble down look but importantly they look reasonable . Sand was then added to the rest of the base edges.


The walls were then repainted brown and drybrushed with yellow ochre and a cream coloured emulsion. Over the top of this I gave the walls a coat of brown ink. 


The bases were finished off with a brown coat of paint, drybrushed cream and then  static grass to match my gaming mats.

Sixteen walls turned around in about 3 hours.


A unit of Peninsular Wall British give their seal of approval....


And what did I do with the other Lollipop sticks - I made a load more hedges



More soon....



 




 

7 comments:

  1. I like those! Very ingenious method!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for doing the walls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. six quid! The pound sure went down in the world, muh brexit

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a genius! Simple and very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart. I think i will copy that method. Did you have any problems with warping?, and how did you make the hedgs? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - no problems with warping - the hedges have their own post - please search Shed Wars 28mm Hedges for instructions

      Delete