Wednesday 17 August 2022

Greeks, Macedonians and maybe Persians - the next project

Good Evening All

As promised in my last post I stated I was going to announce news of my newest project and hopefully this will not disappoint. For the last couple of years I have been focussing on adding units to my current collections and rebasing many of those that have been painted in the past.

I think its fair to say that the Shed seems to have adopted the Warlord Games rulesets of Hail Caesar, Pike and Shotte and Black Powder for most of our big multiplayer games. Given they all come from the stable they share many similarities in that they are quick to learn, handled big multiplayer games wonderfully and large games can be fought out in an afternoon or evening. My next project will fit with this premise and although I already have Imperial Romans and Celtic opponents I had a hankering to go further back in time to the period of Ancient Greece and Alexander the Great. From the Persian invasions of Greece by Darius and Xerxes (lets face it who doesn't want to refight Thermopylae with 300 Spartans) to the sweeping conquests of Alexander across the Persian Empire and the following wars of Succession this period offers a lot of possibilities (and Elephants !).

Where to start?

My plan is very simple build big Hellenistic and Macedonian armies to begin with. These can fight amongst each other (Peloponesian Wars/Wars of Succession). Once done I'll turn my attention to the eclectic Persian forces. The only criteria will be to build this army for less than 50p per foot and £1.50 per horse. With almost 1000 initially planned this is going to both take time and money. 

the good news is that the project has started....over the last couple of weeks I have won a couple of good bids on ebay and secured some great value boxes from House of  Hobbies. These folks offer a great service and currently have some great deals on Warlord products  - currently 30% off this summer


The two boxes of Greek starter armies the Spartan box give about 450 Hoplites, some Peltasts, Light Cavalry and command stands. The Successor starter boxes each provide 100 Pikes, Companion Horse and an Elephant in each. Current estimates around 30p per figure.

The next job is to get some of these assembled and some paint slapped on...

So last weekend I cracked on and painted up 100 Phalangites - still to be based


They are a real simple paint job washed with ink - still needs a varnish


On top of the Pikes I also tackled some standard Hoplites...24 Greeks. Again these were painted in a very simple white and blue colour scheme followed by Army painter and varnished.


The shield decals are the standard ones in the box and look great. Once applied the whole figure was matt varnished. Again these need to be based.



As with all projects it must crack on so I decided to start on my Spartan army - the plan is to create about 8 of these infantry units (24 strong). The first 40 are now in the pipeline



How long is it going to take? In two weeks I have almost finished 160 figures (not based) so with a fair wind hopefully by Christmas the Greeks will begin to muster.


More soon



5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the Greeks multiply!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see can’t agree more Greeks and Persians are great 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! Some one as bonkers as we are at agrabbagofgames! Check out some heavy duty hoplite action here as I have marched this path before...and still am! https://agrabbagofgames.blogspot.com/2022/04/battle-of-stolos-429bc-i.html

    ReplyDelete