Wednesday 24 March 2021

A new project - the Plain Wars in 28mm part1

Good Afternoon Folks

First up I am still alive ;-) ....and better still I have now had my first jab !

I must apologise for the dreadful lack of posts in the last three months. For a variety of reasons (chiefly no gaming) I have not really been motivated to post up on the blog , however that does not mean I have been idle since Christmas. 

From March 29th we will be returning to the historic refights of the War of the Roses games shortly  - from this date six people can mix socially outside. Games will of course be alfresco. 

To keep myself busy I embarked on a new project in January. The decision to start the plains wars project (think Cavalry versus Indians) was perhaps made rather hastily made when I won a surprise bid on ebay for a large amount of foundry Red Indians. With the purchase made I scoured ebay for more figures and eventually I have ended up with over 100 mounted chaps and around 70 foot. These are all predominately Foundry 28mm but there are a few Conquest miniatures thrown in. Simultaneously I have been building the US Cavalry and these will be shared in the next post.

The initial pile of lead below.



Inspiration for uniforms etc drawn from these two excellent books


Horses all mounted on 25x50mm oval bases (Warbases) - ready for priming



Primed with Halfords grey paint


Painted and dipped before varnishing


Riders mounted on sticks...


Block painted before being painted with Army painters strong tone dip


Starting on the foot...



Cavalry take to the field - this is the single largest block of cavalry I have painted for one side. Previously it was my 80+ Norman cavalry - the board for reference is 2ft x 4ft 



Horse bases made up out of hexes - I am working on some homebrew rules and if they work I will share on the blog


Slots for oval bases cut from eva foam - sand and grit added


Painted and flocked


Enough bases made for around 160 figures



Indian riders take to the field on their new movement trays


These chaps look rather fierce



Each movement tray holds hour horses








Foot mounted on 25mm washers - they will eventually be on hex bases as well


A tribal war party





I have also started on some home brew wigwams !!


Come back soon to see the cavalry coming over the hill

All the best and stay safe

Part 2 the US Cavalry can now be found HERE




10 comments:

  1. Great stuff - Indians vs 7th cavalry and similar has always been on my list of games I'd do if I had unlimited time and money so I will be very interested to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful stuff. I shall be watching to inspire my own progress (in 15 mm with over 300 mounted warriors to paint!). And probably hanging my head in shame at your progress while I stumble along - well, maybe. There is hope as I have been making progress but too many projects. And the big win is that retirement beckons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thought out, I like the hexagon shaped sabot bases. great brushwork as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific work and inspirational basing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always interesting to see a new game/period coming to the Shed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing stuff. By the way, these are not wigwams, they are teepees. Wigwams were built from tree bark and were used by Woodland Indians and teepees were tents made from animal skins and used on Plains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any idea what rule set you will use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete