Friday 17 July 2015

Building a 28mm Modular Tomb part 2

Hi Folks

A few weeks back I started a project in which I was going to convert a number of IKEA boxes into a tomb complex. For the first part of this build head here

Part 1 of this project

Now I have been reliably in formed that the IKEA Moppe boxes are no longer available...can't believe that so many people have used my idea to snap up the remaining stock...but you never know.



I originally bought 3 boxes which would give me the opportunity to build a total of 18 rooms and corridors  - with hindsight four would have been better !

In this short post I will be showing you that I have managed to complete a full six rooms.

With all the materials to hand the remaining six rooms took around three hours to complete (excluding drying time)

Clearly six rooms is not enough so I will be cracking on with the next six asap. Unfortunately I have run out of blue foam so waiting on more supplies.

A few folks commented that were these too deep - in hindsight I am inclined to agree so for the next six I am infilling with polystyrene to lift the floors. Ill be creating at least two boxes with steps so their can be a transition between the lower and upper floor levels.

So here are some piccies of the first six rooms still - need to do the door frames but you will get the idea














and here they all are neatly packed away...




Until next time....

16 comments:

  1. That's a really good idea, Mr Shed! Looks like the two levels will add visual interest too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's just super-clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work. It's just screaming out for some of those Ancient Egyptians from Dark Fable Miniatures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never cease to be amazed by your ingenuity in building terrain - I certainly couldn't have come up with an idea like this.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LIfting up the floors will allow chasms and pit traps... nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a bloody clever chap you know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Need to paint my Dark Fable Egyptians! Brilliant stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pieces and a great idea (by the way, the IKEA website still list them as available, at least in our 'local' store)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And we got rid of one of these at the weekend - actually, Victoria took it into school.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if the 'carcass' of the drawers could be used? These are back in the UK stores at £18 each.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it, I have one of those boxes, presently full of modelling stuff, going to go and tip it all out........

    ReplyDelete