Sunday 13 April 2014

Shed Wars in North Wales part 1

as mentioned last week my son and I are off to north Wales for a few days this week.

with a drive of over 270 miles in front of us we set off at 7.00am on Sunday morning. Three and a half hours alter we were crossing the border. what a journey !

nice and easy plus a fry up for breakfast just outside birmingham

first stop Conwy on the North Coast. This is a walled Medieval walled town complete with massive castle on a rocky outcrop overlooking the bay.

we walked around and on the town walls in 20 minutes. the town is very pretty and full of small gift shops, eateries and pubs. shedson particularly liked the sword shop ,however buying him a replica 13th century broadsword would probably not go down too well with Mrs Shed so I didn't.

post a fish and ship lunch we climbed the rock into the castle. for £36 quid I bought annual membership to all the welsh sites plus English Heritage sites. good deal!

the castle although run down is a great visit and once up on the ramparts you can see why Edward built here.

just below the castle were a few reenactors with some birds of prey. the owls were stunning!

We are really struggling to load photos ....So I am signing off now and heading out for dinner. more tomorrow.



Eric the Shed at the Knight Store





Conwy castle commanding the bay

 
 
Part 2 and the culmination of our trip can be found here
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. A fry up breakfast and a fish and chip lunch on the same day? Jealous! I only went to Wales once but I think it was shut. That is a splendid castle. Sofie of Paint Table Saturday would like the owls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delightful! Have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great holiday diet to me. Have a great time in Wales

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what I great time you and your family are having there

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy you also, love to get back there some day ( not been there since the early 80s) it my ancestral
    homeland (give or take 300 years lol). Hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I simply love that region and have been there twice over the past few years. The only thing I regret is not buying a sword in that shop in Conwy since they had some real good deals when I was there.

    Anyways... glad you enjoyed yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm envious. Only been to Wales once, and that was a couple of days in Cardiff. Had a lovely time, though. Hopefully going to be that way again this summer. The plan includes another day in Cardiff, then a trip up to Caernarfon. Already have that room booked.

    Buying a sword would not be practical, as I am sure that British Airways would have an issue with me taking it on board, and I wouldn't trust it to the bagsmashers on the ramp.

    ReplyDelete