Monday 29 June 2015

Building the Docks - part 3 - Some Warehouses

In my second post of this project I talked about the modification of the lighthouse for my docks and whilst I was finishing this the first of my warehouses arrived...I decided at this point I would complete all the construction before the pieces got a coat of paint.

If you want to start reading this project from the beginning head here

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/building-docks-part-1.html

The buildings shown below were sourced from a guy called Troll Trader on ebay...I bought two buildings - the boat house

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390999102598?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and the extended warehouse

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391052029655?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Construction was easy using pva glue and some masking tape.

The base buildings can be seen in the picture below. The warehouse actually comes in two parts which I decided to glue together and base these on a thin sheet of ply.


These make great buildings for the water frontage. I should also add that they come with a vast number of crates ....I'll feature these in another post.


I am not particularly keen on the mdf finish so these were modified. First up I ran a low brick wall around the base of both buildings using thin blue foam.



Window edges were then added using the same blue foam. This time I left it plain .



The walls were then coated in pva and given a covering of sand. The warehouse walls are going to be rendered.

The roofs were also given the sand treatment not before I added some wooden battens and covered the windows with masking tape. These will be given a black paint job to look like roof felt.





Just need to add paint...

As these were being finished off the next parcel arrived...this time it was a warehouse model sold by Warbases

http://war-bases.co.uk/BUILDINGS/MULTI-28MM?product_id=243

It was quite a plain building so I decided to clad this in timber (using coffee stirrers). Whilst researching this project I noticed that a large number of waterfront buildings are indeed timber buildings.

Again cladding was very simple - pva glue. It was also a great workout for my chopper !



The windows have been covered up...





This one will eventually have a corrugated roof.

So the waterfront grows...


As I am writing this the last of the buildings has arrived...the factory and outbuildings from Sarissa. These will feature in my next post.

Until next time

Part 4 can now be found here

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/building-docks-part-4-industrial-complex.html
 

9 comments:

  1. Everything you do to this board improves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all sorts of fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good finds, I like TrollTrader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll second that. I've bought a pile of stuff from him and never been disappointed.

      Delete
  4. Another great project, Eric. I know that the plan is for Pulp and VBCW, but I keep expecting the Tong of the Black Scorpion to appear from the fog, swiftly followed by a curly haired man in a deerstalker who's just come out of a distinctive blue box. Would be good for Golden Age superheroes and any kind of Victorian gaming, from Gothic to Steampunk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic... I can see Tintin and his little white dog around the corner of that big warehouse... =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good Eric. A massive improvement over the original plain look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing I am looking for some warehouses so keen to see how the develop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing superb information. Your site is very cool. But i want to know more about Warehouse Building in UK.

    ReplyDelete