Sunday 21 June 2015

Building the Docks (part 1)

Hi Folks

In October I have volunteered to run a game at the Annual BLAM meet (for those of you who don't know what I am talking about head here...http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/blam-2014-photo-album-100-pictures.html )

So I had to put my thinking cap on...a game to be played in a 4ft x 6ft space that could accommodate 4-5 players over a couple of hours. I am not going to give away too much in this post about the scenario but suffice to say that I am going to build a dock side environment set in the 1930's.

In this post I am going to address the base board build.


All the boards are based on 9mm MDF. These are treated both sides with decorators pva to reduce chance of warpage



The boards themselves are covered in textured wall paper. Fixed using a superstrong PVA


The textured wall paper will hopefully convey a good sense of cobbled streets


Once fixed on the boards these were all given a top coat of black acrylic



In the final photo of this post you can see that the dockboards have now been lifted using slabs of pink foam to create the wharf alongside which the boats can be berthed.

My tramp steamer sits on the left (yes I know it still needs to be finished) and to the right is a waterline trawler I picked up on ebay a few months ago.




The lighthouse is a pond ornament - its going to need repainting and the top will need customising so figures can access the roof area.

In the distance you can see my pub...for thirsty sailors

I have just ordered some warehouses so thee will feature in the next build


part 2 can now be found herehttp://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/building-docks-part-2-lighthouse.html

3 comments:

  1. A significant project ! Will watch with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will wait to see the WIP and final result...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's gonna be a corker!

    ReplyDelete