So here is the second part of my Polar Adventures thread...
Part 1 can be found here...Polar Adventures Part 1
With the weather breaking for the better I was able to get down to the shed and start on the base boards for the Polar Adventures project.
I started with the standard 9mm MDF squares that have become the terrain boards of choice in the shed. These are all 50cm x 50cm square. Sixteen boards cost me c£28 cut from my B&Q (New Malden) - Its best to buy the really big 8ft x 4ft sheets and to get the store to cut them for you.
I did try Champion timber but they wanted £24/sheet plus 50p per cut - so B&Q won hands down.
First up I primed the boards with white emulsion paint.
Once the primer was dry I liberally covered the whole board in PVA glue and then covered the whole board with sand, grit and ballast. This is a messy job !
With one board done I covered a further nine before running out of basing material. This reminds me that I now need to find an alternative stockist to Modelzone now that it has gone belly up. I left all these boards to dry overnight.
This morning the boards got their first coat of paint - again white emulsion (as it cheap). I plan to put on about three coats the top one being acrylic for a stronger bond.
Hopefully you will agree the 'snow & ice texture' is coming through.
Drop by again in a couple of days to see how these have worked out...