Friday 10 July 2020

Caulk Desert Battlemat - part 2

Good Morning All

When I left you last on this project part of the battlemat under construction was finished. If you missed part 1 head HERE

First strip complete

With my Napoleonic game out of the way I was able to crack on and get this mat finished. Each stage takes about 24 hours in drying time

The remaining part of the mat 'caulked'

In the picture above you will notice the caulk has two distinct browns. This is because I found some 'dark brown' caulk in a pound shop and did not mix in any paint. Aside from the colour there was nothing to distinguish this from the more expensive stuff I got from Selco.

With the caulk dry I could hit the painting - first the browns and then a top dry brush of yellow ochre. The more observant of you will notice that I have pulled out my 'palm tree forest' and these are getting the same base colour treatment.



Once the yellow ochre has dried it then the heavy drybrush of titanium white. As seen below. The contrast between thre yellow and white areas (where trees are standing) is quite astounding.



A quick final test to make sure this 'second half ties in with my troops...all good



and some final shots of the finished mat







and so it is time to roll it up...its a heavy beast but manageable.


7 comments:

  1. Very impressive Eric. A good solid terrain mat that should last for years and perfect for your Sudan collection. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eric- Superb work there on your Colonial- Sudan - Africa- Egypt Terrain Matt. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work indeed. A solid base for your desert games & washable for pesky blood stains too...
    Where are the splendid palm trees from please?
    Best wishes,
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Palm trees from a chinese supplier on ebay...

      Delete
  4. A final well chosen dry brush can really bring it all together and you've accomplished that here. And sounds like the shrinkage wasn't too bad - more in length than width (from your LAF posting) which is what I experienced with my artist canvas pieces. Looks good and will be well used I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a grand finish Mr Shed!

    ReplyDelete