Wednesday 11 September 2019

Imperial Roman Army assembles (part 1)

Afternoon All

Following the arrival of the Ancient British army its about time to start on their conquerors...I am of course talking about the Imperial Roman Army.

This force will consist of one legion with 10 cohorts (each cohort comprising 20 figures on 5cm x 5cm bases), their associated scorpions, and of course the auxiliaries (infantry, archers and cavalry). By the time I am finished I am to have around 24 units in play.

Of course I have to start with the core of the army the heavy infantry. These are all plastic warlord drawn from boses of their standard infantry and veteran. I have sourced these over the last six months on ebay paying around 50p per figure. I know folks are raving about the Victrix models but I just cannot justify the cost.

So this weekend I assembled the lot - about 280 figures including command stands.

These have all been glued using pva to 2p coins and washers to aid painting and priming. Once complete they get moved off their temporary base onto the mdf movement bases. The figures have all been primed gray.




Once primed the figures were sorted in cohorts - I am going for a regimented look for each unit


I should add that the shield were not glued to the vfinal figure. These are being done separately and glued in place at the end. The shields were painted on the sprue (front and reverse. I then used the shield transfers to bring these to life



All the shields are now finished !!



So I better go and slap some paint on their owners....

Part 2 can be found HERE

6 comments:

  1. Excellent!!! Excited to follow your progress, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considerable work done and to be done ... but Rome was not done in a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see the project moving forward at the expected pace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure this army will be as spectacular as all your others when it's done :)

    ReplyDelete