Sunday 12 November 2017

Sudan Project part 6 - The Walls of Khartoum

Good Afternoon All

Part 5 can be found here


A happy afternoon was spent in the shed yesterday starting the terrain for my Sudan project - specifically the walls of a desert fortress/city walls of Khartoum. Indeed I am hoping that this will be generic enough for any engagement in the Middle East (Crusades etc)

The preferred material for this project was 5mm foam core and I have pretty much exhausted my supplies of this material. It is amazing what a sharp blade, a metal rule and some pva can dop to this stuff in a few hours.

What you can see in the photos are the builds achieved in about 4 hours - 4 walls, a gatehouse and four towers. These will still need to be coated in plaster to give the adobe feel but we are getting there. I'll need to add a couple of extra walls, another gate and of course some breached sections.


Above and below - the walls, gatehouse and towers - I'll be adding the crenalations before the plastering


The towers are simple boxes with the walls built up at the top to make them look thicker. The floors of the towers and walkways are all coffee stirrers trimmed to size


28mm figure for scale purposes


The towers themselves have been glued to a ply 10cm square base


The walls - I have added some strips of foam core to add extra depth


The front of the walls are in fact gradually sloped


The gate house - fixed with two towers (one either side) - this stretches 30m long - same as the walls


By having the tower on a base with no protruding edge means they can be usede for both straight wall sections and turns




The gatehouse towers have also been given a gradual slope - front & rear


The gate entrance itself has been lined with pva foam (it bends nice) - I embossed this with brick work before sticking in.



A spare gate entrance - better build another gatehouse...



More to come soon....

Part 7 can be found here
http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/sudan-project-part-7-mahdi-army-finished.html

34 comments:

  1. Ingenious & cool! Are you gonna homebrew some siege rules for blackpowder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - Probably use the siege rules from Pike & Shotte

      Delete
  2. A fabulous and very skilful application of craft. This table is going to look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent progress. I first came across foamcore when I moved to the US and I swear by it as a modelling material. Looking forward to seeing the final results of the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, looking forwards to seeing some texture and paint on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When finished, this will be a brilliant fortification! Only fours into it thus far? You are working magic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent progress, look forward to seeing more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really helpful, as I was trying to work out how to do a railway viaduct as a perimeter for my Victorian board and this is an ideal Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure - if you are doing viaducts check out my post on Stone Bridges that also might help

      Delete
  8. Magnificent work sir. And typically large scale, or as I now refer to it "Eric Scale".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing!!
    Any chance you could post a picture showing the dimension of the wall/tower cutouts?
    I'd really like to make one of these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Walls are 6cm deep at the base and 5 cm at the top - they are 8cm tall up to the walkway.

      The towers are 10cm square and 16cm tall to top of wall
      I'll set out all the measurements in next post

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing, Eric!!

      Delete
  10. Fantastic looking city walls and nice and generic enough to cover a millennia!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - As I said I want to make them generic enough to work with a number of periods

      Delete
  11. Very good modelling. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the art shop in kingston has some if you need more .. you must show me how you cut it I can never get such clean cut lines ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can get it much cheaper on ebay...;-)

      Clean Cuts -= Very Sharp Blade & Steel Rule

      Delete
  13. Looks good so far, as expected of course.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to the finished result. Must be a joy to play in that shed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks George - if you are ever down in Surbiton drop me a line - be happy to welcome you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job as always....I love the board too very easy to use šŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
  17. quite a long period of silence... I hope all is well in the Shed-Lands ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing effort and great design!

    Frank
    http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete