Tuesday 6 December 2011

Jungle Terrain

Welcome to the jungle !
About four years ago I decided to branch out into 28mm as I felt there were more options to be had. I also wanted to build a jungle, dont ask why - just did. I was luckly a two month break between jobs gave me the opportunity to kick this off in earnest.

Stage 1 was to find as many different types of plastic aquarium plants as possible. I scoured the local petshops and found a massive selection. Interestingly I found that the majority were held together in a pin and hole arrangement. Each flower, shrub etc i held to the body of a plant by this hole. By carefully pulling these apart i could remount the 'new foliage' on a 'trunk' mounted to a base.

Mixing colours and shapes gave me all the variety I wanted.



The buildings are aquarium features - since these photos have been taken I have repainted into my black/grey/white rock pattern.

Alays look before you buy. Managed to find most of these on the internet for less than half the price of the local pet store.




A jungle needs trees. Got really stuck on this one. In the end I cut down a whole load opf fake bamboo plants bought from Wilkinsons. The tree trunks are the bamboo stalks and the leaves have just been glued and taped aqround the top of the trunks.

 

The buildings above were scratchbuilt from hardboard and blue foam. Very simple to make and I ended up making about 20 of these - enough for a ruined city.

What you see above is a typical set up and it uses about a third of the total jungle pieces I created. I did go a little overboard.

Every jungle needs fauna as well as flora. Found these dinosaurs online and they look about rght in terms of size.

Lost world here we come.

The focal point, a temple, a stepped pyramid, a whatever.

Really simple build. Three bases and a top. The Top is from an Indiana Jones kiddy game repainted.

The next base was made fronm blue foam and the two big bases build from timber.

The whole lot was painted black. We then stuck hundreds of pieces of card (for blocking). Then another coat of paint - then drybushing.


The stone elephants are candle holders bought from one of those cheap stores in asian communities.

The predator figure comes from copplestone




1 comment:

  1. Marvelous example of excellent terrain! Very nice blog sir!

    ReplyDelete