Friday 15 December 2023

Shed Wars 12th Birthday & Annual Roundup

 


Afternoon All

Delighted to report that Shed Wars is now 12 years old and as the blog approaches its teenage years I am delighted that it is still going strong with more posts, hits and comments than ever before. Indeed I can announce that over 2 million views have now been reported on the site since its birth and with growth of over 7% this year I can only hope that as I post more content growth will continue.





As has been the case on previous years I usually use the blog's birthday as a round up of the previous years activity and comment on next years plans. This post will be no different although the year has been dominated by one major event. This was of course our house move (and shed displacement) at the back end of 2022. We have now been in the new home since Xmas of 2022 and although the building renovations are yet to start I can assure you that Mrs Shed and I are still delighted to have made the move and are still very much in love with our little bit of leafy Surrey.

The refurbishment of the new shed dominated the first part of the year and it is staggering to look back on the transformation of my new man cave - both internally and externally.

External views when we arrived


Outside has been repaired and given a new coat of paint. Landscaping and a new terrace sometime in 2023




This is what we were confronted with when we moved in - an old office. Once emptied its true potential could be imagined.



But before renovations we had to move in my wargames collections



The finished article with an 18ft table


The cupboards at the back hold all my figures and all the terrain is stored under the tables


So aside from some serious shed painting it wasn't until September that I was able to return to figure painting. 

Picking up where I left in October last year I managed to crank out another 850 Hoplites bringing the total to 1000. Current focus is to complete my Greek Army before turning my attention to Successors and Persians.



Although not shown I did manage to paint up a few more Saracens, Crusaders, Normans and English Civil War figures to complement my existing collections. The ultimate goal will be to have around 2000 figures in each focussed period.

2023 was also a momentous year for my hobby plans. With the new room kitted out I decided that I would endeavour to share my passion for this hobby with other likeminded souls (aside from my regular gamers). The Shed Wars Experience was launched in July and for as little as £40/day visitors can take part in my epic battles. All the details are on the website HERE.

In time the new home will have a number of airbnb style units for gamers to stay over and enjoy long weekends in the company of Eric the Shed ;-)

 


To support the launch I invited wargames Illustrated to come down and enjoy the hospitality of the Shed - a grand day was had by all as I put on a ficticious epic battle set in the Wars of the Roses. The Lancastrians were commanded by none other than Billhooks author Andy Callan who also graced us with his presence.

A grand time was had by all and following a few inquiries I hope that we will see further guests joining us in the New Year. The diary of planned events for 2024 will be up on the website soon but I am always open to impromptu bookings and ad hoc events from individuals and clubs around the country or abroad. 


As soon as the shed was finished back in the spring I was keen to get the gaming back in motion and this year has seen somer truly wonderful games set out on the new larger table. These includfe in no particular order...

A zulu invasion...


A refight of Salamanca....



Big Billhooks.....



A refight of the Battle of Arsuf...




Most recently ....Pirates


Dark Ages - Normans v Saxons


The Battle of Hattin


and loads more besides....

Since our move to the outside of the M25 I have not seen many of my mates who I used to regularly play with in the old shed and once the roadworks are finished on the A3/M25 Junction I do hope that they will visit more frequently. Said Roadworks are adding almost an hour to journey which should only be 25mins ! For the record I do miss you guys...

For those who live on the outside of the motorway thank you for your continued support and welcome to the new chaps. The shed now regularly hosts six on a Monday night and for the vast majority of gamers fun is had by all. 

I wish you all a very Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.

As for next year a large amount of my time will be focussed on the grounds and house build BUT this should not prevent me from continuing to devise new scenarios, add to my figure collection and build more terrain.

Current thinking includes...

Completing the Greeks, Successors and Persians

Starting on the American war of Independence

Refighting the battles of the Barons war (Lewes, Ely etc)

Starting our efforts to refight all the Battles of the Peninsular War

and following up on our Batytle of the Five Armies hosting the Battle of Pelonnor Fields.


Thank you all for reading this blog, your comments are most welcome and I wish you all the very best for 2024





2 comments: